The movie follows the story of a girl who, in coping with a very traumatizing experience in post civil war Spain, encounters a fantastic world of magical and gruesome creatures. As her reality becomes more and more cruel the fantasy world becomes more real and intertwined in her reality.She experiences a series of tasks that become more horrifying as they go on. She remains the epitome of innocence throughout the story though. As her step father's (a fascist captain) cruelty is further revealed, her innocence becomes more apparent.
Though this movie is not one for the average escapist seeking pure enjoyment, it definitely is thought provoking and revealing about the nature of cruelty vs. innocence. I would rate it high on a scale of intriguingness - thus landing it a place on my blog. I'm glad I saw it, but will probably never need to watch it again.
3 comments:
I saw it too and I woke up the next morning at 3 am absolutely paralyzed with fear that a child-eating creature was outside my window. I have to agree, it was an excellent movie, but not something I will see again.
What happens to those nicely edited movies? I'd love to see them with the grossness gone.
I love your film recommendations. I bet the edited version was still much less horrifying than the unedited but such a beautiful movie. As I see you don't mind the melancholy mized with the beautiful. Have you seen Dancer In The Dark? Like Pan's Labrynth, it's difficult to watch, but so incredibly beautiful. I miss Intrn'l Cinema nights. Glad you are taking advantage of all the films BYU/SLC/Sundance has to offer. :)
Post a Comment