Hola familia!
So, on Sunday I hit my 4 month mark. It was also the one month left mark for sis. mortensen, so that was kind of funny.
So this week was not the most exciting in city heights, but we did manage to have a good lesson with Rosalba (the wife of Jose 1) and her nephew, Juan. We went over planning on dropping them, but we talked to her and she was pretty interested and we talked a lot about the book of mormon and how you can pray to know it's true. She and Juan (who is like 17) both said they would pray about it. We're going back tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
I had a good experience at the Batallion this week. I gave a tour with Hna Evans ( who came out with me). It was a good tour with a bunch of people. At the end we somehow got comments from every single person in the tour (we have a comment spot on the referral card), which doesn't usually happen. One of the couples we knew weren't members, and he had puth is address but hadn't marked the box saying he wanted something, so I asked him if he wanted anything and he said no, he was catholic. I kept talking to him a bit and somehow family history came up, so we talked about that. I asked if he wanted any more info about doing family history because the church has a lot of resources, he said yes. So I got him a paper about it and asked if it would be ok if the missionaries came by and explained a little more, and he said that would be fine. So that was cool.
This week I finished the book or mormon (which I started sometime in august) and started it in Spanish. I'm hoping to finish it in spanish by the end of november. But it's been coming along just fine. I'm marking some different things this time, including references to missionary work and being a good missionary and verses about the atonement and things like that.
We hadn't heard from Daniel and Cleo in forever, so we went over to their house one day to set up an appointment for later. We talked to Daniel and he said he didn't think his wife was interested, so we probably shouldn't come back. That was kind of disappointing, but oh well. Some other missionaries will find their name in our area book one day and go back. Later that night in planning, we ended up dropping most of the rest of our investigators. We still have magda and jorge and adam and martha, and jose and rosalba but that's pretty much it. haha. But we couldn't ever find most of the other people. So we're trying to find some new people in these coming weeks, but we have some good potentials, so we are hopeful.
We were helping the ward out this week by contacting a bunch of people in the ward who no one knows if they are active or even live there anymore. On our way to contact one woman, there were two men sitting on their porch drinking, and they asked us what we were doing. We told the we were missionaries and they asked if they could come to our church (well first they wanted to know if it was in spanish). They were just super excited about everything, it was really funny. They were obviously drunk. One had the most ridiculous mustache - I wish I had a picture, it for real curled up at the ends. haha. It was a funny experience. Unfortunately they did not come to church, but we gave their name to the elders in their area, so hopefully they at least have a fun time contacting them.
I got to see most of women's conference, which was great. I missed most of the first talk because I was at the batallion and I was taking a tour, but I loved president Monson's talk. It was excellent. I'm excited for conference this week and should be able to see most of the sessions (whenever I'm not at the batallion).
Working at the batallion is pretty funny. We meet the funniest people. I gave a tour wtih Sis Adams to several people, including three old men who were veterans from the army. They were very exciting by the outfitting room and were explaining how things haven't changed much as far as what they carry. Just modernized a bit. Outside in gold panning we were talking to them, trying to see if we could send the missionaries, and I was talking to Al, and he was saying how much he loved mormons and how great they are and how we need more people who are brought up like them. He wasn't interested in receiving anything though, I guess he has a few mormon neighbors who visit him a bunch. haha. He was a way nice guy. He kept talking about his angel wife and told me that when she came I should look at her face because I would see that she was an angel. Sure enough, when they met up, he brought me over and aked me if she didn't look like an angel.
Yesterday we had MTE (missionary training exchange) so we were in a meeting with president from 9-1 and then we went on splits kind of for the rest of the day. (kind of because most people go in a group of three, 2 companions and one extra person to help practice what we learned), but some people are left over, so I was just basically on splits with Hna Nielsen, so came just 2 transfers before me. We went together to my area first and we tried to visit some people, but for the most part no one was home. We went to see Linda Torres, a less active, and she was there and gave us some water (because it was probably 10000 degrees outside). We were takling to her and I was explaining about general conference when Hna nielsen ran outside and threw up. I'm just glad she made it outside. haha. It was pretty funny in retrospect. She wasn't feeling to good so we came back to her apartment and she took a nap and then threw up few more times, so we ended up staying there the rest of the night, so I had some time to study. I'm in 2 nephi now in the libro de mormon and I finished reading Acts and am in Romans in the bible. I felt bad for hna nielsen, but it sure makes for a rather funny story. haha.
So things are going well. Magdalena and Jorge are supposedly coming to the batallion tonight and we are going to watch the joseph smith movie with them, and we are bringing Adriana (2 birds with one stone), so that should be good. We want them to understand what people are willing to go through and do when they really know the book of mormon is true and then commit them to pray again to know it's true and see what they need to do because of that knowledge. Hopefully it works out. Also, we are planning for the temple lesson on Friday (they had to cancel last friday) so hopefully that will go well. We have the marriage papers all printed out for them and everything.
Well, I hope all is well with all of you. I hear that mom is haning out with grandma, so I hope they are having fun together. Matthew - good job on breaking 6 minutes and good luck at your next race! Emily - keep being the cutest and write me a letter when you get a chance!!!!!! Oh, and someone should send me a picture of the house when it all gets finished or during the process or whatever. I need to be able to recognize it in 14 months or so. haha
Love you all!!!!
love
hna livingston
No comments:
Post a Comment