Well, tuesday night we had a good experience finding a new investigator named Ana Andrews. She was a potential, so we dropped by her house, but she wasn't home. I noticed they had a huge parrot though, so I started talking to her aunt about the parrot and the next thing we new, Ana walked up. We had a nice lesson with her about the book of mormon. I think it was a good way for Sis. Stirling to start her mission. It's not so bad teaching in a trio. At the end of the lesson we invited her to pray, and it was so sweet - we all kneeled down, but then she didn't say anything. I peaked after a little bit and I could tell that she was intently praying. After a little bit she asked if she could get up once she had finished and we said of course. I could definitely feel the spirit while she was praying.
Wednesday morning started out with a lot of studying because of the training program for new misisonaries now. After that we had a nice lesson with the Romans. We watched the beginning of the lamb of God, but had to stop it early because we had to leave for another appointment. We stopped it right after Christ suffered and just talked about how much Christ did for us. We talked about baptism and Hna Roman surprised us all by saying that her husband had said he wants to get baptized by Juanito (our recent convert who got baptized in September - he is like the Roman's other son). When we asked him, Hno Roman just said yes, but later. So we are going to try to help them both get baptized soon.
We taught Hno Chavez after that using the Book of Mormon edition of the Liahona. Then we served at the mormon battalion, but things weren't too busy.
Thursday we did exchanges, but since we are in a trio, Hna Lewis just left to go with the other sisters and I stayed with Sis. Stirling. We served at the battalion in the morning and I trained sis. Lee how to chat, which is always a fun experience. We had a few weirdos come on, but then someone with a really good question came on - it turned out it was a misisonary asking us a question their investigator had asked them. Lame. haha. I gave a tour later with Sis. Stirling and an adorable way old lady volunteered to be the soldier, which was pretty funny. She nearly fell over when I put the backpack on her.
We taught Juan at 3, which was great as always. We taught about fasting. At first he said he couldn't do it because he was "too skinny" haha. But then we talked about it some more and he said he would give it a try on fast sunday. I told him he should bear his testimony on fast sunday and he said he couldn't because he would be to nervous (if you basically picture how Max - our dog - or better, Toby, would act speaking in front of an audience, that's about how nervous Juan would be). I told him we could practice, so I bore my testimony and then helped him to bear his by asking him questions like why he believed the church was true. It was great to hear his testimony. I love it when recent converts testify of what they know.
In our area we first went to see Candelaria. She and her husband fed us dinner first, which was excellent. Then we taught her the restoration. She liked everything, but feels that she was already baptized by God even though she doesn't believe the catholic church is right. We talked a lot about prophets and she told us that she knows Isaiah was a prophet because when she reads his words she can feel God speaking to her directly. We told her to read the book of mormon and if she felt like that with these words, she would know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and everything else that comes with it.
Later that night we went to see Hna Alvarez. She has been less active for about 30 years. The last few visits we had with her didn't impress me very much, but we had an appointment, so we went. It turned out to be a great appointment. We chatted with her and her foreign exchange student from japan for a bit and then he left and we started talking with her about the sacrament. That wasn't our original plan, but that's just where the lesson went. I mentioned how animal sacrifices was replaced by taking the sacrament and she looked at me with amazement and said she had never heard that before. We kept talking about how the sacrament is so important and how we really need to take it and that's why we go to church. She really opened up and told us her concerns and in the end she agreed to pray about coming to church. It was a great lesson because I could really feel the spirit working through sis. Stirling and I and I was learning new things as we were teaching. I love it when that happens.
Friday we did some weekly planning and then had district meeting. After that we had to head to the temple, so we picked up a pizza on the way there. It just so happens that Fidel (from barrio 20) was working at little ceasars when we went in! So he gave us some free crazy bread, which was delicious. It was nice to chat with him for a minute, but it sounds like he hasn't been to church since I left because he dind't know that I was transfered! haha. I told him to go though, so hopefully he will.
After that we were at the temple and took some excellent photos because it was finally cold enough for me to wear my yellow hat that Hna Arrosco knitted for me last year (hats are now officially allowed within the new dress code). I will include some in a bit. Not too many people came to the temple while we were there though.
After that we tried to see Claudia, but she wasn't home, so we went to see Julie. We had yet another great lesson with Julie and I was nearly positive that she was going to come to church this time, but it was yet another fail come sunday.
Saturday morning Hna Lewis and I went to the battalion to practice a song we are playing for church next week (obviously sis stirling came too - don't worry). As we were leaving we ran into Mark and his dad, so that was fun. They said they would come back later to do the tour. After that we rushed off to our area and went to see a potential named Enrique. As we were walking up the stairs we heard someone behind us, and it was him! So perfect timing. He invited us in and we taught him briefly about the restoration movie that he had requested. He seems like a nice guy. He lives there with his sister and they are both from Mexico and moved here within the last few years.
After that we visited Ulises and just taught him outside on the porch. He is such a funny kid. We just introduced the book of mormon and he said he would read it. It was super hot outside though, so we didn't want to stay too long for fear of dying outside. haha.
At the battalion that evening I gave a tour to the Brown family, which was fun. The sound wasn't working in the last room, which was super unfortunate. That happened to me the other day also and when it happens we just have to narrate what is happening. The other day I accidentally told the people that the battalion's march contributed to the purchase of the gettysburg address....oops I mean gadsen purchase. haha. It was pretty hilarious. After that Hna Stirling and I did a tour with a cute couple who was there for their anniversary. The husband is in the army waiting to be deployed so the story really hit home. They referred themselves at the end and I am pretty sure that they will love the gospel.
I took the last tour of the night with sis Kunz and it turned out that Nathan was on the tour! I didn't realize that at first since I haven't seen them for 11 years or something. Sis. Kunz thought it was pretty hilarious when we figured that one out during the tour. haha. They took my violin for me, which will be a huge help. Thanks mom.
Sunday we were at the battalion. I gave a tour to a couple who does living history for the church, but aren't members. After the tour I asked them if they understood why the pioneers made all those sacrifices and they said yes, because of their faith. I asked if they had read the BoM and they said yes, so I aske dif they had prayed about it and they said no. I told them that they should if they want to know if it's true, but they just quickly changed the conversation. I just don't understand how you couldn't be touched by those stories. Oh well, maybe one day.
After our shift we rushed off to bring Julie to church, but we got there and she wasn't home. It turns out her family had just arrived from Mexico, so she was at the store with them or something. church was good. During sunday school Hna Rosales brought a dragon sword as a visual aid. I borrowed it for a photo opt after church. The primary kids were adorable as always. We learned a new song then practiced some of the old ones and then played musical chairs. I of course played as well.
we had a meeting with the branch pres. after church to plan the primary program, so that should be fun to help with.
We had dinner with the Pattersons that night, which was fun. They seem to be getting along a little better these days - I think because his spanish is improving. That can make a big difference in a marriage if you both speak the same language.
Monday we had another good lesson with Hna Roman. She seems to really want to get baptized, so we are just trying to get the husband on board. Also, we discovered that she can read a little bit if the letters are super big.
We had a funny lesson with Yolanda, who abruptly ended the lesson because she was going to wet her pants and didn't want to use the restroom while we were still there. haha. We visited the Garcias that night and introduced PMG to them. They already have some names in mind to start their family mission plan. They are such a great family.
This morning we went to the temple, which was amazing as always!!!!!!
I love you all!!!!!
love,
Hna Livingston
No comments:
Post a Comment