Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Joys of Cleaning Early in the Morning

Regency Apartments has this annoying thing they doe every other week called a cleaning check. Now, normally I am all for a little cleaning check every once in awhile to make sure that the apartments stay nice; however, this is no little cleaning check. Every other other week (once a month) the cleaning check is INTENSE. The other cleaning check once a month is more like a tidiness check. It just so happens that the intense cleaning check fell on the busiest weekend of my life. I returned home Friday night around 12:30 or so and chatted with my roommates, only to discover that all of them except Maggie and I had already finished their assigned tasks. Knowing that the cleaning check would occur at 10 the next morning, Maggie and I decided to just stay up and clean until we finished. As we began going through our list of tasks, we started to realize the ridiculous nature of this check. Here is Maggie scrubbing the vent after cleaning the fridge and defrosting the freezer:

I somehow landed the most random of the jobs. I cleaned the dishwasher (yes...scrubbed the inside and outside of our dishwasher, partly with a toothbrush like suggested in the cleaning manual). I also scrubbed the floor, did the dishes, washed the walls, cleaned the storage room and defrosted our other freezer (with a blow dryer). Boy was I thrilled with my life.

Around 4 in the morning when we were almost done, we decided to reward our hard work with a delicious midnight snack (though it was really more like breakfast).

Yes. We ate hot dogs at 4 in the morning. Delicious. I think I went to bed around 5 in the morning, a full 24 hours after I had woken up the previous morning. I then woke up at 9:30 to clean my room and then returned to bed. I was sound asleep when the cleaning check actually occurred (on top of my bed because I didn't want to ruin its beautifully made state). And that my friend, is the joy of cleaning early in the morning...you get to eat hot dogs.

2 comments:

WHITNEY said...

Our cleaning checks this month were also ridiculous. I was advised to clean the inside of the dishwasher with vinegar and a toothbrush but instead I decided to fill it with dishes and run it. They said next time they wanted it empty. haha.

Melissa said...

You've given me some great ideas for Saturday chores at home!

Glad you enjoyed the hot dog...

I love you... MOM