Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pig legs y rebajas

Yesterday while everyone else was in class, I headed over to a Monday market in Alcala. It was awesome, but I didn't want to take my camera out and look like a tourist (or be targeted for pick-pocketing). There was a street lined with carts on both sides selling everything from clothes to food to shoes to jewelry. I perused the carts all the way down the street and as I made my way back I bought two movies: Madagascar 2 and High School Musical 3...both in Spanish. I was really hoping that the songs in HSM3 would be translated too, but unfortunately they are not. It's still fun though, and Kiley and I plan on watching them as Spanish practice one night. We think we will be able to understand most of it.

Another surprise as I turned into the kitchen...an entire pig's leg set up on the counter. What's even funnier is that they have this whole pig-leg-holder type contraption thing set up as if it is perfectly normal. We are just waiting till we walk in and find a whole animal laid out on the counter...maybe even still alive.

Right as we walked in, our madre asked us if we wanted some ham. Of course we said yes, because we say yes to all the food they offer us, and low and behold, she walks over to the leg and slices us off some pieces. Well at least we know it's fresh.

After a cold day of classes today, Kiley and I hopped on a bus and got off by the train station. We started walking around aimlessly going in random shops. This is us after we checked out a sweet supermarket (in which we found many hanging pig legs amongst other things). We were excited by the delicious European cookies we got, though they didn't quite make it into the picture.

We stopped into one random shop that was having ultra rebajas (sales). Kiley got some jeans and I got a sweet little dress/long shirt type thing with awesome cats on it, or something like that. It is quite cool. It's the kind of thing that when I wear it, people will ask where I got it, and I can say, oh, just Spain.

No comments: