Coincidentally, last year the movie Bright Star came out and I remember Megan and I thought about seeing it, but then never got around to it. Since then I have wanted to see it, and as I read Keats' poetry it dawned on me that this poem was what inspired the name of the movie, so I added it to my netflix queue and watched it tonight.

I have to say that this movie may have just become one of my favorites. I feel like I say that a lot, but that's only because lately I have seen a lot of really great movies. The love story was so real and believable, and Ben Wishaw, who played John Keats was beyond adorable. I only wish that I could have been born in the romantic era to have perhaps switched roles with Fanny Brawne. The movie is full of Keats' poetry, along with many of the love letters that the couple exchanged. It brought a real and passionate life to the poetry I had merely enjoyed before.
Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art--
Not in lone splendor hung aloft the night,
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
Pillowed upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel forever its soft fall and swell,
Awake forever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death.
Not in lone splendor hung aloft the night,
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
Pillowed upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel forever its soft fall and swell,
Awake forever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death.
No comments:
Post a Comment