Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Ethnography Museum

On Sunday we planned to go to the Russian State Museum. We made it to the correct building - The Mikailovsky Palace - but then we went in the wrong entrance. It looked very much like a main entrance, so we entered and showed our Russian student cards and were given our free tickets. We were greeted by this beautiful room:


We then worked our way through room after room of clothing from Russia and its fellow Soviet Union countries over the many years.




After exploring what appeared to be nearly the entire museum, we realized that we were only in one wing of the palace and were actually in the Ethnography Museum rather than the Russian State Museum, which displays primarily Russian art, hence my draw towards going there. 

Luckily it was still fun to see all of the clothes and things, including this giant horse puppet:


When we left the museum, we rounded the corner of the wing and saw the actual main entrance to the palace and Russian State Museum. Here I am in front of the palace:


We didn't have time to see the art museum, but I will be back soon. Of course, I couldn't be near Spilled Blood and not walk by it, so I made the group take a detour on our way to the metro so we would pass it. 


Love it.