Friday, March 22, 2013

Trapped

My bedroom in Russia has one major issue with it: the door has only one handle. I guess that to be truthful I should say that it only had one handle when I got here. I don't know how this came to be or why no one thought it would be a good idea to fix. Instead, someone who lived here before me just put this sign on the door:


Paige and I have bee very careful about not shutting the door all the way as we always want to be able to leave our bedroom. That is, until Thursday morning.

Megan texted me early in the morning asking if I wanted to skype. I said sure. Paige was already gone teaching, but I didn't want to disturb my other roommate who sleeps in the living room, so I got up to close the door most of the way. I guess that I pushed a little too hard because BAM the door shut all the way. 

I wish I had a picture of my face when it happened. I was shocked and immediately began pulling as hard as I could on the one door handle conveniently found inside the room. Unfortunately I am stronger than I look because the handle came right off after a good tug. I then proceeded to slide my fingers under the door and pull as hard as I could, to no avail. 

I figured I wouldn't be able to get out on my own, so I called out to my roommate Megan to see if she was awake. She said she wasn't, so rather than bother her, I called Samantha, my other roommate who sleeps down the hall. 

She answered her phone and I said, "Samantha, I'm trapped in my room. Can you please get me out?" and she immediately started laughing so hard that it woke Megan up and they both came over to help.

They unscrewed the covers off of where the handles go to reveal this:


Here are the pieces that came off on my end:


After several minutes of trying different things to get the door open, they finally inserted a knife and twisted it and I was released from my bedroom. Hallelujah!


So if you ever only have one door handle, I would advise you to just get it fixed rather than run the risk  of getting trapped.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

so glad you got out! how funny!